Saturday, March 10, 2007

Screech Owl Cam' Status

The data acquisition box that interfaces the infrared sensor in the nest box's entryway to an old Mac in my house died during a thunderstorm that rolled through the area while last year's nesting season was underway. I'd been meaning to modernize that setup anyway (including adding an optoisolator in the circuit), so I didn't worry too much about it. Unfortunately, the board I purchased had an SDK that was problematic and in a state of flux when I was trying to get the new setup put together ages ago. Since then, I've had other things to keep me occupied. The upshot of all of this is that I haven't had my usual awareness of the comings and goings of the owls over the last year.

When people ask me what the owls are up to, I only have random observations to work with. However, there's definitely a pair around, and the male, at least, thinks the nest box is a good place for a nest, judging by visits like the one tonight in which he sat in the nest box and sang to his mate. His mate didn't enter the nest box despite his entreaties, but he's trying. Only time will tell how it works out.

(The twigs, feathers and leaves visible on the floor of the box were placed there this week by a starling that wants the box for his nest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment